Sunday, November 3, 2013

Using a Life-Cast & Cyborg Makeup

For my first attempt at creating a makeup with my life-cast face I decided to turn myself into a cyborg.
I started with the plaster face I made during my life-casting session/post.
After doing research into what cyborgs look like I collected some pictures that inspired me. I ultimately settled for creating a look in which something had been applied to my face rather than underneath it. 
My initial design had some flaws that became apparent after sculpting the idea.
First, the nose didn't really make sense; why would the nose-skin have grown over the metal piece? Also, the individual appliances on the face didn't quite make sense together if they were to be controlling me. After some thought and reworking the idea, I came up with this design
Here is the sculpt of the makeup (missing one of the forehead pieces)
and here is the sculpt with all the pieces of wire and bit of mother board embedded into the clay. it is important to embed the pieces before you pour the plaster so that they have a place to go into the latex. This was also a helpful step because all of my wire pieces were pre-cut to the proper length. BUT, take out all the pieces before pouring; you want indentations from the pieces. I also laid all the pieces out on a tray so that I wouldn't mix them up. 
Next, I built dams up around the sculpt. I decided to separate the sculpt into four areas

Once I made sure the clay was sealed onto the face and the walls were thick enough, I coated all the clay surfaces in baby oil as a mold-release. I then mixed and poured the plaster. You can read more about this in my previous post about making molds. 
After allowing the plaster to set for two hours I peeled away the dams. 

All of the parts came away easily and cleanly. I left the plaster pieces to thoroughly dry for a few days. I wanted to use gelatin for the molding process, but having so many parts became overly complicated and messy. I settled for pouring the molding with liquid latex following the steps from my previous post about latex.  Below are all the pieces as they came out of the molds. 
I trimmed the pieces and prepainted them with cream makeup. I powdered the appliances between coats of makeup. I then began gluing the pieces of wire into the latex. This process was a lot harder than I expected it to be. I used pros-aide as glue and I think it would have been better if I used something with a faster drying time such as hot glue. 
 I then began applying the pieces to my face. I started with the nose/forehead piece because its position dictated the position of the rest of the applications due to the wires. I applied the pieces with pros-aide, powdered everything, and then did some touch-up makeup and blended the nose application into my skin. 
Below is a picture from immediately after the makeup was completed. 
And here is a picture from a few hours after wearing the makeup. The chin pieces are starting to come loose due to the large amount of movement in that area.

Overall the makeup stayed on pretty strongly and I like the almost cartoonish feel the look has to it. If I were to do this makeup again I would make sure I hot glued the wires into the makeup and I would make sure the chin pieces were much more secure. 




Supplies:
Face
Clay
Clay tools
Wire pieces and mother board pieces
Baby oil
Plaster
Liquid Latex
Cream Makeup
Makeup brushes and sponges
Pros-aide


No comments:

Post a Comment