Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Liquid Latex - Pouring and Applying

In this post I will be talking about the steps for pouring liquid latex into a mold and applying latex prosthesis. This is another fairly simple process but requires patience for a good outcome.
For this project I used some old plaster molds that my professor had in his makeup cabinet. Two nose molds (on the right), a scar/burn eye patch (top left), and some sort of torn skin appliance (bottom left). The first step is to make sure your mold is clean, wipe it down. If you use something moist for this, wait until the plaster dries off for the next steps. 
Apply a thin, even coat of mold release inside the mold and around the edges; I used baby oil. This will make it easier to take the appliance out later. 
Next pour a small amount of latex into the mold. It is better to start out with less than you think will cover the mold because it is easier to add more than to take some out. Rotate the mold around to cover all the surfaces of the mold. This should be as thin of a layer as possible.
I used Ben Nye latex for this. The latex starts out a dark skin color and as its drying it lightens in color. As the latex is drying in the mold it is important to rotate it a few more times to avoid pooling in deeper/lower areas. You can also expedite the drying process with a hair dryer. Once the first layer is dry, pour more latex in and repeat the same process. I only poured two layers because the latex that I am using is fairly thick but I would recommend doing at least three or more layers. 
When all your layers of latex have dried it is time for removal! Powder the backside of the appliance with makeup powder. I like to do this with a blush brush but you could also use a pouf or apply the powder with your fingers. 
slowly start to peel the latex out of the mold and as you peel away, apply powder to the latex. I like to dump a little extra between the latex and the plaster as I am peeling so that gravity will do some of the work for me. Starting the removal process is the hardest part. If you have nails you can kind of pick at the edge of the latex or you can rub it so it rolls away from the plaster. If you opt for the rolling method, be very quick with your powder because latex loves to stick to itself. 
Flat molds are much easier to take out than deep molds such as noses. One of the noses I poured would not come out of the mold and ended up very deformed. The skin tear piece was still wet in some of the deeper places and tore as I was taking it out. This left me with one nose (seen below) and the scar/burn eye patch (which will make an appearance in a later post!)
This nose is long and pointy. On the right side you can see a place where the latex folded over on itself while I was removing it from the mold. 
There was also a spot on the bottom of the nose where the mold had chipped and thus my prosthetic has a weird mole on it. In the above picture you can also see where I cut out the nostrils. 
The next step is application!
First, glue on your prosthetic. I like to use Pros-aide but you can also use spirit gum if that is what you prefer. I like to apply the glue directly on to the appliance, let it dry a little, and then stick it on my face. I then make sure all the edges are glued down and then coat the entire thing in Pros-aide. I also put a "bead" of glue on the edges to help transition from prosthetic to skin. 
Powder once the glue is dry. At this point it is time to apply makeup. I suggest having a design/plan for your look before you move forward from this point. I made the mistake of not having a plan and ended up creating a look that I wasn't satisfied with overall. I started out with a "plain face" makeup by applying base all over my face and the nose and blended the nose into my base using highlight and lowlight stippling.

I think the blending was successful overall and I had fun learning how to apply a prosthetic nose!


Supplies:
Plaster mold
Mold release
liquid latex
powder
blush brush
Pros-aide
Makeup

No comments:

Post a Comment